Over the last couple of weeks, we have noticed the temperature has been up and down. This week is forecast to reach highs that we, with mod cons such as air conditioning, could find unpleasantly hot in the UK, so imagine what it must be like for our four legged friends. As responsible dog owners, we know Barker & Barker dog lovers are considerate and caring when it comes to managing their dog's health and hydration during spells of hot weather, but it is always a good idea to refresh our memories of what to watch out for , and some of the hints and tips to keep your pet cool on a hot day.
Your dog's health in hot weather.
Certain dogs are more susceptible that others to heat. Older dogs , particularly those with heart disease, obesity or breathing problems are at greater risk due to issues with their circulation and oxygen capacity.
Following a sensible routine can help prevent your dog suffering as a result of the heat, ideas include:
1. On a hot day, avoid walking your dog on pavements and paths such as asphalt and cement to avoid burns to the paws.
2. Provide access to fresh water at all times . You can encourage drinking by making your dog ice cubes or feeding a rehdyration liquid.
3. Restrict exercise to the early morning and late at night when temperatures are lower.
4. Just like kids, some dogs love to cool off in water, try a paddling pool or a sprinkler on your hose.
5. Never leave your dog in a parked car, even for a few moments.
6. During the hottest parts of the day, keep your dog inside and ensure there is adequate airflow such as a fan or open door or window.(Entice him with some of our natural treats)
7. If your dog has a white or pale nose, don't forget he may be susceptible to sunburn so make sure you use a little suncream before they go out.
8. If you have trouble getting your dog inside, keep his favourite Barker and Barker treats by the door to encourage him back in , and reward him!
Posted On: 11/06/2017